CME Program for Medical Professionals
PLEASE NOTE THAT THE INFORMATION BELOW REFERS TO 2016.
2017 INFORMATION WILL BE POSTED IN THE COMING MONTHS THIS YEAR.
SPECIAL NOTE WHEN ADDING SPECIAL EVENTS (e.g., CME-related items): IF YOU HAVE ALREADY REGISTERED FOR THE CONFERENCE AND YOU WISH TO PURCHASE A SPECIAL EVENT(S) -- please go to this link: http://www.autismone.org/shop-conference-events
Welcome to the information page for the AutismOne 2016 International Continuing Medical Education Program, a joint collaborative initiative of AutismOne, the American Association of Integrative Medicine, and the American Academy of Pediatric Osteopathy. This year’s innovative educational program offers multiple days of learning, with 20 credit hours available for doctors, nurses,* and healthcare professionals* (AMA accepted credits).
This one-of-a-kind educational program aims to educate healthcare professionals in state-of-the-art approaches to integrative pediatrics and current science as it applies to autism spectrum disorders. This includes a review of evidence-based approaches and examination of cutting-edge and innovative therapies currently being researched. This educational offering will create and enhance and a knowledge base in the area of integrative pediatrics for the healthcare professional and, thereby, increase their understanding and knowledge of integrative pediatrics. Knowledge of integrative approaches to the pediatric population will increase a practitioner's ability to understand current complementary therapies the patient is using as well as to augment the practitioner’s ability to advise or implement integrative approaches that will benefit patients.
Please note: Preregistration is required for this program.
Faculty members for this program are comprised of credentialed physicians and researchers.
THURSDAY, MAY 26, 2016: This is a full lecture day from 7:45 am to 6:00 pm (check-in at 7:30 am). General AutismOne 2016 Conference preregistration is required as prerequisite. Only qualified individuals reviewed and approved by organizers of this program will be admitted. Non-approval to the program will result in a refund. CME program preregistration is required by April 26, 2016.
There are a limited number of non-CME-attendee seats -- for Thursday only -- for those who wish to hear the information but who do not need CME units. Please provide your email address and phone number when you preregister. These attendees will be vetted in advance before an observer badge is (or is not) issued.
Thursday will offer information on topics including the following:
- Biomedical interventions for pediatrics and autism
- Review of complementary/alternative medicine, including homeopathy and herbal medicine
- Review of environmental medicine and its role in integrative medicine.
- Integrative approaches to diet and nutrition, including fatty acid metabolism, the microbiome, and fecal microbiota transplantation
- Endocannabinoid medicine
- Evidence-based approaches: a review
- Gastrointestinal pathology, intervention, testing, and research
- Manual therapies, including osteopathy
- Integrative pediatric immunology including mast cells and immune activation
- Methylation system mechanics and MTHFR
- Integrative metabolic medicine including mitochondrial disorders and integrative management
- Integrative neurology, including seizures
FRIDAY, MAY 27, 2016: Day two will consist of an innovative think tank format in which top clinicians/researchers from the U.S. and abroad will present short presentations on up-to-date aspects in the areas of pediatric integrative medicine and autism.
After each presentation, the various panel members will discuss, comment, and suggest other areas of innovation and research.
This day runs from 7:45 am to 6:30 pm and is followed by a 1-hour exam (required for CME). Healthcare professionals receiving CMEs for this day will be observers of the think tank speakers’/participants’ lectures and discussion. Thursday attendance is prerequisite for Friday. Friday is only open to licensed healthcare professionals. Credentials will be vetted. Insufficient credentials will result in a refund and non-approval to the program. CME program preregistration is required by April 26, 2016. Confidentiality agreements will be required.
Friday will offer information on topics including the following:
- Metabolic issues: including oxidation-reduction issues in neurodevelopmental disorders, methylation disorders, role of dopamine, and B-12
- Immunological issues including Lyme disease
- Gastro-neuro-immunology, role of the gut/brain connection, latest findings concerning nagalase inhibition and GcMAF
- Foundational role of the gut: gastrointestinal pathology, biofilm, probiotics, diet, fecal microbiota transplantation
- Cutting-edge interventions, including stem cell and Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation
- Environmental medicine, glyphosate, mercury, aluminum, environmentally derived retroviral exposure
- Toxicity and detoxification
- Neurology/genetics/mitochondrial issues
- Pediatric Autoimmune Neuropsychiatric Disorders Associated with Streptococcal Infections (PANDAS)
- Cerebral folate deficiency and its treatment
- Complementary/alternative medicine: neurological issues suggesting an herbal approach; implementation of an herbal approach for symptoms
- Manipulative therapies and their role in treatment of the whole child
- Endocannabinoid system in relation to interventions, with focus on inflammation
(Please note that all program participants seeking CME credits need to be present for the test at the close of Friday.)
CREDIT TOTAL FOR THURSDAY AND FRIDAY: 17 CME units.
SATURDAY, MAY 28, 2016: There is an optional 3-hour endocannabinoid medicine seminar from 8:00 am to 11:15 am. Professionals must have attended the Thursday and Friday CME program days to receive CMEs for Saturday. (Extra charge applies.)
CREDIT TOTAL FOR THURSDAY, FRIDAY, AND SATURDAY: 20 CME units.
This activity has been planned and implemented in accordance with the Accreditation Requirements and Descriptions and policies of the Missouri State Medical Association and the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education through the joint providership of Institute for International Medicine and Autism International Association (DBA AutismOne).
Physicians: Institute for International Medicine is accredited by the Missouri State Medical Association and the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education to provide continuing medical education for physicians.
Institute for International Medicine designates this live activity for a maximum of 20 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit(s)TM. Physicians should only claim credit commensurate with the extent of the participation in the activity.
ENDOCANABINOID MEDICINE SEMINAR ONLY
For healthcare providers who ONLY would like to attend the 3-hour endocannabinoid medicine seminar on Saturday, AutismOne will issue an AutismOne Certificate of Attendance for this 3-hour seminar. (AutismOne 2016 Conference registration is prerequisite; extra charge applies.)
*IMPORTANT NOTE ABOUT CREDITS:
INMED provides credit to MDs and DOs. However, INMED can provide a Certificate of Completion to anyone who states the activity was accredited. It is up to the learner to submit to their boards to request credit. For example, a nurse or nurse practitioner would be able to submit to their accrediting body (which requires AMA-approved credits) to request credit. For example, for nurses, a certificate of completion will be provided after activity evaluation submission. Nurses can submit the certificate of completion to their state boards for consideration of CEUs.
CME PROGRAM REGISTRATION CANCELLATION POLICY: Requests for CME-program-related item cancellations must be received by April 30, 2016 (a $75 cancellation fee will apply); cancellations after this date are non-refundable. Refunds will be sent by June 30, 2016.
AutismOne thanksShawn Centers, DO, FACOP, BCIM, Director of Continuing Medical Education for the AutismOne 2016 Conference.
AutismOne shares CME participants' contact information with the American Association of Integrative Medicine.
SCHEDULE SUBJECT TO CHANGE WITHOUT NOTICE.
We reserve the right not to register any individual based on our own judgment. We further reserve the right to ask any person to leave the conference if that person’s conduct may interfere with the participation of others. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, ethnicity, nationality, creed, religion, gender, political party, or sexual orientation.